Monday, October 27, 2008

On fun, feasts, and fireworks

Finally, Divali's arrived this morning after much wonderin', waitin' and wishin'.

After a frenzied shopping spree for gold, sweets and fireworks, folks in town would be quickly working on the goodies.

The early morning hours ushered in some 'bang-bang' on the streets, and that's precisely when the neighboring dogs woke up from their slumber and ran for cover.

The evening's going to be, er, interesting. If it rains, the fireworks will fade away sooner than later. Then I can call it a silent night and grab some shut-eye.


I mean, if people have become even a bit more conscious of global warming and pollution, they'd take a green hint and simply light a few lamps to celebrate Divali.

But will they? Only time will tell.

I'm all for planting trees which is exactly what the project Mission Green Earth is trying to promote. But hey, we need to give trees some clean air to breathe. Else, we will only have pits where trees once stood proud.


Pic from the web

Speaking of pits, here's a real 'eco-tastrophe' from Pittsburgh. Straight out of the green zone. More due to steel plants actually, but fireworks also add to the smoke, apparently.

Had me thinking hard about fun, fireworks and a fiery future...

3 comments:

Random Reflections said...

hmm manju ! are fireworks once a year during Diwali responsible for global warming ? Somehow I think not.

But yes the pollution, litter that never gets cleaned up etc..make it a problem to deal with for months later. Maybe a controlled celebration like the July 4th fireworks in the US would help ?

Guruji himself says "Do you know why we burst crackers? We suppress many emotions within ourselves; cravings, aversions, hatred or too much attachment and we reach bursting point. When there are a lot of worries, people say, "I feel my head is going to burst." If there is a lot of sorrow, people say, "My heart is going to burst." Knowing this experience, the ancient people said that when you see an explosion outside, you feel similar sensations within you as well. Along with the explosion, there is so much light. Similarly by lighting the crackers, when there is an explosion outside, you release the suppressed emotions and become hollow and empty. You become free and are able to celebrate the festival and distribute sweets."

Also the article you cited holds the steel plants responsible for the pollution and not really the fireworks .

Jai Guru Dev,

manju said...

Yeah, you're right- it is steel plants, but if you see the pollution we live in already in India, you will understand why I think any added noise pollution all adds up.

Sigh, come live in my street RR!

Every reason for a ritual or a celebration comes with a certain context- but that's my opinion entirely!!

I know that the noise is pretty bad for heart patients as well...

I rest my case..;-)

Random Reflections said...

you are right on many counts manju. I could see the effect of fireworks on a sick person in my family :( .