Monday, April 14, 2008

Sri Rama Navami


When we were kids, our father would take us to every concert in town, held during the days of Rama Navami. He would return home early those evenings and pack us off in his old Morris Minor, to the concert venue. The venue would usually be in a Rama temple, either in Malleswharam or Sesadripuram or Fort High school, Bangalore.

Mother gave me a beautiful painting of Lord Rama and asked me to chant: Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram.

Her mother, (my wonderful grandmother) used make lots of cooling 'Panaka' juice and serve it to visitors in hot and sultry Vizag, where we once lived.

Of course, I promptly forgot this chant as I grew older and more worldly in stature. Thanks to all the Art of Living practices, I have been swung back into my childhood days.

Today is Sri Rama Navami and it sure brought back these memories. Unfortunately, these busy times do not have me visit too many concerts like I did when I was a kid. But I have been fortunate enough to be sitting in two divine Satsangs with Swami Suryapada (Chayanna swamiji) , and that has made me so joyous.

Chayanna swamiji seated in the center with all of us Art of Living'ers

Sri Rama Navami marks the birth of Lord Rama. Lord Rama is the seventh Avatar of Lord Vishnu.

During this day, we clean our house, put the Rangoli (a motif drawn on the floor with rice powder) and place a photo of Sri Rama on top of a wooden plate. We decorate the photo with various flowers. And of course, we pray to Lord Rama either by chanting shlokas (Sri Rama Nama) or by singing bhajans, or simply by meditating.

We also make some Prasadam (offering) like a sweet, some cooling juice and some fresh salad.

Lord Rama is revered by Hindus all over as the embodiment of truth, of morality, the ideal son, the ideal husband and above all, the ideal king. On the day of Rama Navami the birth of Rama is remembered for his prosperous and righteous reign.

No comments: