Sunday, January 13, 2008

A journey beyond

The Art of Living Teachers' Training Program (TTC Phase I) turned out to be a fortnight long mind-blowing experience. Aspiring teachers for the Art of Living programs had come from all over India and the world. We shared the classroom with Pakistanis, Russians, Americans, Ethiopians and fellow Indians from other states. There were young and enthusiastic 20 somethings and mellow yet lively 70- year olds who attended the course.

In class with our teacher Prasannaji (seated on a chair)

The experience of living in a dorm with 200 other women trainees, waiting outside bathrooms at 3.30 am in the morning to have a bath, enhanced our endurance capacity. The arduous yet exhilerating yoga 'bootcamp' which lasted for 3 hours in the morning and 2 more hours in the evening pulled us out of the urban comfort zone into which we had all been trapped. The fantastic training on interpersonal dynamics gave us rare insights into the finer aspects of communication. The mystic spiritual process had us often walk around in a trance-like state.

There was community service too and I was part of a team that had to clear out the putrefying garbage dump, sorting out plastics and glass. Even a makeshift mask with my dupatta couldn't blot out the stench which emanated from the rubbish heap. But as time went on, we were competing with one another to find the most number of plastic bottles. And giggling all through.

Clean the garbage outside while you sort out what's inside you.

The Satsangs (singing devotional songs and chanting) which took place in the evenings were phenomenal, transferring us to a different plane altogether.

Guruji Sri Sri Ravishankar designed this course keeping the human psyche in mind, and he did it with such grace and perfection, as he does in all his projects and ventures. I met him along with others and talked to him for a brief bit.

"You are a publications manager? Then you must get into publications here." he said in his gentle voice. I was so happy.

I was glad I had introduced myself and this brief conversation had taken place between me and my Guru. But then I got to wondering, what didn't he know about me? He must have had such fun when he put on a surprised expression on hearing about my profession. And I fell for it!

I went home after bidding my goodbyes to all my classmates. I hoped that this enthusiasm and zeal which had welled up in me will last forever. But as I remembered those compassionate eyes and the benevolent smile of my spiritual Master, all my doubts suddenly vanished.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow. very beautifully you explained about your experience with those 15 days of ttc phase I. surely you muset have thoroghly enjoyed every moment of it. i am also eagrly awaiting my turn of ttc phase I may be mid of this year.
jai guru dev
santosh